Monday, May 2, 2011

The Call - Butters

"Hello?" The desperation in her voice was evident, but he wouldn’t hear it.
"Hi it's me what's up baby? I'm sorry, listen, I'm gonna be late tonight so don't stay up and wait for me, okay?" He sounded breathless and tired, but Anna knew he wouldn’t grow weary.
"Where are you?" She was pissed off, now.
"Wait wait say that again?" He’s trying.
"Hello?" Exasperated.
"You're coming in and out I think my battery must be low. Listen if you
can hear me we're going to a place nearby, alright? Gotta go." She couldn’t stop thinking he was being a selfish prick.


[Now this is a story all about how my life got twisted upside down,
Let me tell you the story about the call that changed my destiny,
I’d like to take a minute,
Just sit right there.]


Sam and his boys went out, in West Philadelphia where they had been born and raised, but they didn’t realise they would only be ending up in misery. They were having a night on the town like when they used to hang on the playground, where they spent most of their days back then. As Sam was about to leave the egregious club, a woman stood in front of him. As she said “hi” and explained she “had a little place near by”, Sam was posed with the question of whether he would like to go. It was just like when the couple of guys that were up to no good used to show up in the neighborhood. He knew he should have said no, as he knew Anna was waiting for him. But what is a man to do? So he had to go up and see.


He called Anna, he’d rehearsed this in his head a million times, he always anticipated the call.
“Listen Baby I'm sorry, just wanna tell you don't worry, I will be late don't stay up and wait for me, I'll say again you're dropping out my battery is low - So you know, we're going to a place nearby -
I gotta go.”


He whistled for a cab and when it came near, he realised what he was doing but not enough to care.


“Now till it's done nothing's been won,” continued to haunt him. He couldn’t take anything back, what’s done is done. he could no longer conceal the fact - one of her friends was there, she’d found out, and she wasn’t even the only one. Sam had never felt so alone, he was being eaten from inside that Anna was no longer by his side, and all because he made that call on that fateful night and lied.


He was constantly reminded of the things he’d said. It was something he couldn’t just let go.
“Listen Baby I'm sorry, just wanna tell you don't worry, I will be late don't stay up and wait for me, I'll say again you're dropping out my battery is low - So you know, we're going to a place nearby -
I gotta go.” 


Let Sam tell you a story about the call that changed his destiny.
He and his boys went out, only to end up in misery.
Now Sam is alone.
His battery is constantly low.

1 comment: