Sunday, January 30, 2011

Coffee Cup - Butters

This was exactly what she needed.

She sat cross-legged, up against the side of the booth near the window, so she could watch the world go by. She often came here. Nobody quite understood why she was always on her own, sinking into her seat, writing in her book. Perhaps she just wanted to forget everything?

I’ve worked here five years.

She’s been coming in way before I even started. Everybody knows her name. Daisy. Wednesdays and Fridays without fail, she’ll be sat there. Nobody ever quite knows what she’s waiting for, but her mind just seems to sit and drift. I’d contemplated sparking up more of a conversation once, but she always seemed too deep in thought. I always trip over my words, too. I often wondered how much thought you can harbor at twenty three. She intrigued me. Her long, dark tousled hair always looked perfect, with the deepest of mocha eyes to match. She never needed much make up either, she always looked perfect. I wish I could tell her just that.

***

“Flat white pleeease, Sean!”

No cake today. I need to stop eating cake, it’s making me fat.
Sean is such a sweetheart. He always puts a heart on the top of my coffee, bless him. He’s gorgeous, too. He has the whole dark and mysterious look going on, with just the right amount of stubble. The kind that screams rough and rugged. He must have been here about five years now. He seems more shy than he looks. Always tripping over his words. Then again, I always look preoccupied. I’m not, I just think too much. I need to stop coming in here so much. Granted, I used to come in before Sean worked here. But not this often. I’m not sure he knows that. He must think I’m just one of those crazy regulars, always on my own. I wonder what he’d make of it if he did? Probably nothing. But I can dream.

***

She loves writing dark fiction.

She’d never show me any of her work though, her view is that it’s “never finished”. I just wanted the chance to talk to her about something we have in common. She doesn’t know that, though. I always fall before I have the chance. Dark graphic novels are my thing. We’d be great. “There you go, Daisy!” I always sound awkward in my own head. I wonder if she thinks I’m awkward? Maybe I should just go for it.

***

Maybe I should just ask him. The way he looks at me suggests he’d say yes. But.

“Hey, Sean!?” he turns, a smile spread across his face. “Do you wanna like, hang out sometime?” That sounded retarded.

“Absolutely... I was just about to ask you the same thing.” he couldn’t shift the childish smile from his face.
She went for it.

Maybe it would be more than just a heart in a coffee cup.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful words. That was really well written.

    Made me go "awh" but, you know, in an incisive kind of way.

    ReplyDelete