Sunday, February 20, 2011

Apologia - D'oh

“Sorry, I must’a backed over it this morning” Reginald held up Sully, the cat Jesse had been given for Christmas.

Jesse’s kitten, once full of life and curiosity, now lifeless held by the neck within this old man’s stubby little fingers. It’s head propped awkwardly to the side and it’s once admired ginger coat was smothered in dried blood. Lots of blood.

The only words Jesse could find to softly utter were “Sully” before breaking into loud obnoxious cries that caused his mother to go investigate.

Jesse’s mother rushes to the door to see what all the commotion is about. Gasping at the sight of her son’s dead cat clutched within her neighbours hands. “My word Reginald, what have you done?!”

Reginald solemnly removes his hat and places it on his chest as a mark of respect.
“Trudy, I am sorry, I must’ve hit him when I was backing out the driveway this morn’n. I didn’t even see him at’ll, didn’t find him till I got back just now”. Jesses mother nods her head understandingly and tries to usher her boy away from the door.

“I will replace ‘im I will, if the boy’ll let me” Reginald adds
“That’s kind of you Reginald, we’ll see.. come on Jesse, come away from the door”

“You know what’s strange though miss? This poor little bastard, completely soaked in blood ‘e is.. but my driveway, barely a drop on it. And you’d think I woulda heard him, or felt him had I ran over it this morning, but I don’t ‘member anything out of the ordinary”. Reginald wasn’t sure if Jesse’s mother had heard his defence over the young boy’s wailing, but she responded quickly and sharply.
“He was just a kitten, a small cat, I doubt many would notice if they back over it. Now I thankyou for your honesty and bringing Sully back, but I must tend to my poor boy now, he is traumatised”
“Very well miss, I truly am sorry” Reginald turns to walk away before turning back once again “Oh miss, what would you like me to do with this?” He held up the dead cat in his hand, Jesses crying seemed to get louder whenever he did this.
“Put it in a box, leave it by our door.. my husband will take care of it when her returns from work” Reginald nods, feeling genuinely sorry he had caused such grief among his favourite neighbours.

After a long while of coaxing Jesse to calm down, she managed to get him into bed and to sleep. Her husband comes home not long after.
“How was your day?” He lovingly asked his wife.
“Good, bleach seemed to work wonders on that stain you left in the driveway”

4 comments:

  1. That was dark, very good and really well written, brilliant actually, I think it's one of the best pieces you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think this is the best piece you've done! BRILLIANT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys, really 'preciate it, but to that I say BOLLOCKS! - It was such a struggle to write this week. I was very close to deleting the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the first 2 comments, not the 3rd :-)

    ReplyDelete